Data Management Challenges
Multi-Tier Storage Management Approach
Features & Benefits
The Data Management Challenge
Uncontrollable data growth, increased data availability requirements and higher levels of accountability to key business stakeholders are some of the growing data management challenges facing businesses today. These challenges have wide ranging implications on businesses capital and operating costs, operational efficiency and on business risk.
As a result business owners, senior management, CIO’s and IT managers are having to question and rethink their data management strategies in a number of key areas:
- Primary Data & Storage growth management
- The protection and recovery of business data for improved business continuity (including DR, backup and high availability).
- Historical data archival and records management for Legal and Compliance requirements
Identify & Classify
One of the key challenges in managing corporate data is deciding on how to classify data and determining the appropriate protection policy for each data type. The first stage in the Global Storage Multi-Tier Storage Management service is to provide organisations an assessment of their data storage environment by identifying their business data assets, rate of storage growth and classifying their data according to type, age and value to the organisation.
Once the data has been segmented in this way, Global Storage will work with organisations to determine the best management strategy for each data type.
Implement & Manage
Following the identification and project definition workshops, Global Storage will deliver and implement the appropriate data protection service required for each tier of data. This allows us to protect, recover and archive the right data at the right time for the optimum cost, accessibility and security.
Ongoing management and monitoring of these services is provided by our 24/7 Network Operations Centre using tried and tested processes and best practice methodologies.
The overall effect of our Multi-Tier Storage Management Service is that our customers backup less, archive more and secure their mission critical corporate data. It also ensures that data is managed based on the business value it has to the organisation.
Immediate Business Benefits
Organisations implementing a Global Storage Multi-Tier Storage Management strategy see immediate cost, efficiency and risk benefits by:
- Controlling growth of data by defining retention policies for different data types and sorting and archiving data that is inactive or required for compliance reasons
- Improving system performance by controlling storage growth and reducing the load on the primary environment
- Improving data availability and uptime by replicating critical data assets
- Reducing the amount of data requiring daily backup, controlling backup windows and improving recovery times
- Providing improved business continuity and disaster recovery with faster Recovery Times and more granular Recovery Points
- Reducing management and resource costs by improving the operational efficiency of managing data across multiple tiers.
- Providing a scalable, capacity on demand solution for all categories of data to meet changing business demands
Multi-tier Storage Management Approach
Global Storage assists organisations to identify and manage three key categories of data: